Martes, Oktubre 9, 2012

THE WALL

I miss my friends whose name are here
The times we shared, the laughs and fear
I’m still surprised my name isn’t here!
There’s cob whose date they’ve got wrong
Wiskey and logan who died near tri bong
“We got to get out of this place,” our favorite song.
After 18 years I still can’t forget what we did, what we saw
We fought for our country, but our country screwed us all
I am sorry my name’s not on “the wall.”
-Huey
68-69

from "Shrapnel in the heart: letters and remembrance from the vietnam veterans memorial"

*After I read the preface of this book I scan the content of it, eventually I noticed this poem. This poem is dedicated to those who died in Vietnam (it is obvious from the book title) but of all those poem this struck my heart. The pain of remembering your friends die in a combat zone is the worst thing a soldier can witness. I love this poem because it shows passion and the camaraderie formed in the most terrible situation and fought a war not worth fighting for.
** a generation was lost **

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento